Tim Clarey and Plate Tectonics

The claim has to do with the time it would take for plate tectonics moving at the modern speed to deform lithified layers (sedimentary layers after they turned to rock). Ofc, if it all happened during the Flood and according to the CPT model, not only would the tectonic movements be much faster but the deformation can occur while the layers are still soft. The only way a rock layer can be deformed like that is if it occurs very, very slowly. The CPT model shows how tectonic movements can occur quickly before they are lithified.

See Tim Clarey’s book Carved in Stone. There’s a nice discussion of angular unconformities.

1 Like

Nice fantasy story completely unsupported by any scientific evidence and directly refuted by the evidence we have. :slightly_smiling_face: A good example of slow plate tectonic movement is the spreading of the seafloor in the mid-Atlantic ridge. Both radiometric data and paleomagnetic data show the spreading rate to be approx. the same as observed today, a few mm a year.

One of the nicest things about being a YEC is you get to make up the silliest claims as you go.

3 Likes

Tim Clarey provides the evidence in his book, as I thought I already stated. And if you don’t know anything about Baumgardner’s CPT I suggest you learn it. That is where flood geology is today. If you want to hang on to your outdated critiques that’s up to you I suppose.

Flood geology today is exactly where it was 200 years ago. Conclusively disproven by science and only pushed by those with a religious agenda which requires them to ignore 99% of the physical evidence.

3 Likes

I am disinclined to buy and read Clarey’s book, but perhaps you could answer questions about it. How does he explain the Hawaiian Island chain, including the Emperor Seamounts, in a YEC context?

4 Likes

/popcorn

1 Like

I’m not sure what you think the issue is. I’m not a geologist but it seems the current explanation for the Emperor sea mounts is that the plates moved relative to a magma hotspot. The explanation for that in the CPT model seems self-evident. Are you familiar with the model?

How did the CPT Flood manage to sort the magma by isotropic ratio to make the islands appear to be radiometrically measured different ages almost 30 million years apart?

3 Likes

I have always admitted and continue to admit that radiometric dating is a scientific problem for YEC. That and the starlight issue are actual scientific problems that YEC must address. I think those are really the only fundamental scientific problems for YEC. Virtually everything else fits at this stage, and I think there’s even some consensus developing around Lisle’s ASC model for the starlight issue.

1 Like

Radiometric dating, the geological and chronological distribution of the fossil record, everything in the genetic record, everything in the geologic record, the archaeological record of human settlements which lived right through the Flood without noticing…Pretty much every field of science we know directly refutes the claims of a 4500 year ago Noah’s Flood / Noah’s Ark. YEC have hand-waving ad hoc excuses for individual pieces of data but one again can’t explain the overall consilience of all data we see.

3 Likes

I will confess that I’m not. How does it explain the decreasing size of the islands in the chain as it goes northwest from the Big Island, with the end islands only far below the surface? How does it explain the increasing radiometric dates on the same trajectory?

I think that if you actually looked you would find that very little fits.

3 Likes

Massive deposits made up of life is another serious problem. Chalk is made up of dead microorganisms called coccoliths. Here they are under a microscope:

They can only grow so fast, and they settle out very slowly over time. We find gigantic chalk deposits that simply couldn’t form in the time frames of a young Earth.

There’s a lighthouse for scale.

4 Likes

Game Dover?

10 Likes

The isotopic ratios are consistent with the conventional explanations for the Hawaii and Galapagos chains, but that is only the beginning. The geological patterns in both chains is such that the older islands have been volcanically dormant and progressively subject to longer exposure to erosion as opposed to the active hot spots, which is why telescopes are atop the big island and Midway is a flat landing strip. The radiometric dating, the rate of tectonic plate travel, and the erosion patterns of these island chains all fit together. If you did not have to wrangle with a young earth interpretation of Genesis, what would you conclude from this?

6 Likes

That pun was harsh, man.

5 Likes

Subsidence also plays a strong role. In fact, you can trace the history of subsidence by looking at corals. They start out all happy, but as the island sinks they are literally drowned as they move futher underwater.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1029/2006GC001415

On top of that, you can find warm water corals on the Emperor seamounts that are far north near the Bering sea.

4 Likes

And the creationist model is correct about that; in essence it says that things happened just the way they really did except many orders of magnitude faster. It has hot new lithosphere cooling and sinking within a few decades.

A Cliff Hanger!

1 Like

WIth the primary barrier being the laws of physics.

3 Likes

Chalk it up to sedimentation!

5 Likes