Wormholes may be viable shortcuts through space-time after all, new study suggests

Who doesn’t like wormholes? But maybe I get more excited about them than most. :slightly_smiling_face:

But Einstein and Rosen constructed their wormhole with the usual Schwarzschild metric, and most analyses of wormholes use that same metric. So physicist Pascal Koiran at Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon in France tried something else: using the Eddington-Finkelstein metric instead. His paper, described in October in the preprint database arXiv, is scheduled to be published in a forthcoming issue of the Journal of Modern Physics D.

Koiran found that by using the Eddington-Finkelstein metric, he could more easily trace the path of a particle through a hypothetical wormhole. He found that the particle can cross the event horizon, enter the wormhole tunnel and escape through the other side, all in a finite amount of time. The Eddington-Finkelstein metric didn’t misbehave at any point in that trajectory.

4 Likes

What physics best describes wormholes?

What physics best describes wormholes? Probably helminthology.

(IMHO, despite being a shortcut of a sort, wormholes are best avoided. And even if you have to wrestle a right-wing talk-radio fan for the last dose, Ivermectin might be a good idea when dealing with wormholes.)

3 Likes

I don’t think there is any short answer. Wormholes can be described using Relativity, but QM comes in too, in ways I can’t adequately describe.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.