Is Text better than Video?

Why so anti-social? :upside_down_face: I like listening to people talk. There’s extra bonuses like analyzing facial expressions and hearing her British accent. :blush: Reading is just reading, but watching how people think and respond and process emotions is fascinating to me. Plus you get all the content and it sort of sinks in deep that way. It’s worth the time to me, but to each their own.

1 Like

The social activity difference between reading and watching a video is nil. :stuck_out_tongue: I prefer to get to the point of conversations and focus on those - and that is much easier to do by reading.

6 Likes

Reading is one of the most amazing things that people do, so I can’t agree with “reading is just reading.”

Good point! Me too! But is a staged video a good example of this? I didn’t watch this particular video, and I won’t, but I probably have different hopes and expectations for authentic conversation and emotion.

For me and most people I know, exactly the opposite is true. Watching a video is like listening to a lecture: it’s passive, and the pace is determined by someone else. Both of those aspects hinder deep learning, and I think this is a consensus view of experts on teaching and learning.

I don’t mean to claim that videos like this one are worthless or that people can’t learn from them, and I REALLY don’t mean to challenge your thoughts about what you liked about the video or why you prefer videos to reading. I hope that is clear.

7 Likes

Is this a male-female thing? Or a scientist thing?

There’s so much of life beyond “getting to the point.” But it is interesting that a lot of people think differently than me.

True. I didn’t mean to trivialize reading.

Maybe as good as it gets during COVID? :blush: I’m appreciating the human link as I’m still being very cautious as my kids are cared for regularly by their grandparents who are in their 70s.

Agree. Most people are not auditory learners, but I am.

1 Like

Hmm… could be a scientist thing, but in my specific case, it is a matter of time spent. Teaching in this environment is much more time-consuming and I find myself being pragmatic about how I use my time.

3 Likes

Variable playback speed helps some – enough so that I now find myself reaching for the 1.5x speed option when someone is speaking live.

7 Likes

That’s perfectly fine, but if you (or anybody else) posts a lengthy video to a discussion board, I would not expect to have many people watch it.

4 Likes

I generally do not watch unless the OP that leads with a video 1) identifies the significant discussion item(s), 2) provides at least a brief summary or time links for the video, and 3) if possible, links to any supporting textual association with the video.

Nothing against watching videos. I watch a great deal, just that there way way more produced than is possible to consume, and a lot of them are low yield.

2 Likes
  1. A 1 hour video takes 1+ hours to sift through.
  2. In the vast majority of instances, the same point can be made with a paragraph that takes 3 minutes to read.
  3. If someone is able to write a post outlining the question/problem/argument then it reassures us that they are familiar with the topic.
9 Likes

It’s the null. There’s no British accent: it’s English as it should be! :expressionless:

Thanks for feedback. I’ll consider these points when posting a video again.

I was thinking about it as I was on a walk with my kids. It’s probably not even the content that I really enjoyed, but a natural affection for both of the people as fellow believers who think deeply like I do and who I look forward to being friends with.

Plus, it seemed to hit a lot of topics we discuss here.

If you are having a conversation with someone, do you start by requiring them to watch a 1 hour video? Probably not, right?

What we are trying to have in these threads are conversations. If we were simply sharing recommended videos then posting a video would work, but that isn’t what we are about. We want to have a conversation with you, not with a video.

3 Likes

Perhaps a scientist thing? I’m female and prefer reading. I was an engineer pre-kids, so close-ish to science. :laughing:

On forums like this, I’m unlikely to go watch an hour long video, especially on a topic where I think it will be a waste of my time anyway. My video watching time is limited. I can do some podcasts when I walk, but most of the time it’s easier for me to do a quick read, and if I really want to dig in, I’ll slow down my reading and savor the information. If it’s a waste of time topic (like some pseudoscience mumbojumbo), I haven’t wasted quite so much time reading it as I would have watching an hour long video.

There are times when I like watching a video, but it needs to be quality content and something I’m really interested in.

(I don’t post much here… mostly read and learn, but thought I’d jump in as one of the few women on the board :smiley:)

10 Likes

I think it’s an academic thing. We are tuned towards substance and consuming large amounts of data quickly, far quicker than verbal communication allows.

But we are people too. Verbal communication it’s important for all the non verbal components, it’s just that isn’t how we first evaluate exchanges like this.

4 Likes

I agree that seeing faces can be helpful for some things. What I find most annoying are videos that waste my time, dragging out 2 minutes of content for 20 minutes or more. Some people really need an editor! :slight_smile:

9 Likes