Common Ancestor an Unwarranted Assumption?

I have abused these quotes in the past, but they are some of my favorites. It is extremely important to note that the essay I am quoting was written in 1882. The arguments @noUCA is using were thoroughly refuted more than 130 years ago.

5 Likes

And doesn’t truth have to be propositional and something that is recognized by a mind? Otherwise, all there is is dumb stuff.

Perhaps fundamentally true was a poor choice of words, let me flesh that out. In mathematics, one of theaxioms of logic is Identity, meaning any set must be equal itself in every way. 1=1, 2=2, 3.1415=3.1415, the set of positive integers is equal to the set of positive integers, etc… Identity is assumed to always to true, because there aren’t any simpler assumptions we can use to formally prove it is true. IF the axiom of identity is false, then everything we know about math and logic is fundamentally flawed (probably the whole universe would have a screw loose too).

I don’t know that God could do that, I think it can only be assumed. In this sense God is also an axiom - an assumption so fundamental that it cannot be proven, only assumed. We can’t assume God in any formal logic* because that rascal could go and make 1=2, breaking the axiom of Identity and plunging the universe into chaos! :slight_smile:

Please understand that I am not criticizing those who make this assumption. I think important to recognize the assumptions we make; doing so helps us understand ourselves better.

* Just to confuse things, there are multiple systems of formal logic, each starting with slightly different sets of axioms. The most widely accepted system is known as ZFC. If I’d known what I was getting into when I signed up for that Foundations of Mathematics class, I might have changed my major. :wink:

1 Like

So you agree? :astonished:

Hence the Internet! :laughing:

1 Like

Nope. If there are no minds, there is no truth. A mind (or Mind) has to exist first.

I do agree there, though! There is a lot of dumb stuff on the internet, but maybe not all. That does bring to mind flat-earthers and conspiracy theory advocates – you’ve heard of echo chambers? Make it singular and add ‘pots’.

1 Like

I was teasing, just a little. :slight_smile:

But I disagree. Without the sort of axioms I am referring to be correct (truth, if you like), then there can be no mind, and no comprehension. That might even apply to God. If not, and God created these properties that allow logic and minds to exist, it just kicks the problem down into the rabbit hole of First Cause arguments. Been there, got the Tee-shirt, no need to go back! :slight_smile:

17 posts were split to a new topic: Are Minds Required for Truth?

How would you test that? Should Genesis be used as a source of hypotheses or as evidence for them?

GIGO. An atypical speciation event may take 100 years, but assuming that they usually do is crazy. Also, you are confusing the time speciation takes with the time between speciation events, and they’re not at all the same thing.

1 Like

If you believe God is the creator, then all things in creation proceed from him.
If God was different, creation would be different and the logical ability to understand it would be different. Or atleast it possibly could be.
Which means logic is defined by God and how he percieves things (or whatever appeals to God’s aesthetic sense) as reflected in creation.

Endless naturalist drivel. How can you stand to read this stuff?

Not only was Romane wrong when he wrote this, he is dead wrong now. (HeHe…I couldn’t resist that one.)

When the Divine issues a command, the end and beginning are as one, and occur simultaneously. Only in the natural do we see an unfolding of events over time.

That renders your appeal to a law of parsimony misdirected and irrelevant.

I have edited my submission #203 above. It will be impossible to work within your paradigm. Your bias will forever prohibit you from looking at evidences in an honest and forthright manner.

Forget the template idea. I never mentioned it. Creation details are in print in your nearest Bible. If interested, you can consult that.

Good day.

Has noUCA taken his toys and gone home?

Poe’s law?

1 Like

I for one would love to see the evidence for “the fossil-sorting due to the worldwide Flood.” Is this flood-based fossil-sorting related to the famous (but unpublished) experiment by a Seventh Day Adventist professor where the carcasses of various dead animals were observed in order to record when they ceased to float and sunk to the bottom of the water tank?

And what about the sorting of animals and plants which didn’t float?

2 Likes

Don’t forget the deciduous trees and clams which outran the velociraptors to higher ground. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Nowadays Ken Ham claims that each “geologic era” [I’m copying his use of quotation marks which he uses to express his skepticism] is actually a different “ecological zone” as captured and preserved by the flood waters. So perhaps he realized that the clams outracing velociraptors wasn’t cutting it anymore.

2 Likes

That’s easily refuted by the fact trilobite fossils are found in thousands of locations and on all 7 continents but never in strata dating older than the end of the Permian 252 MYA. They are also often found directly below strata with dinosaur fossils.

Oh, it’s Ken Ham. Nevermind. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Maybe because what we think are non-fonctional sequences are fonctional after all.

That’s a whole separate question, and there’s a whole separate thread for it. But to summarize: no. Bless your heart.