On Growing Trust Between Worlds

Despite our significant differences, Nathan Lents and I found common ground in science, in education, and in our common humanity. That’s worth celebrating.

Excellent article by @Jordan, which touches on some exchanges with @nlents at the workshop and the forum.

References this forum topic: A curious thing about the only two negative book reviews I’ve received….

8 Likes

Beautiful piece @Jordan!

5 Likes

@Jordan, thank you for writing this article! It was fun to hear your thoughts! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Jordan is a first class guy. Although we have never met in person I consider him a man of integrity and high character. I enjoyed his article and applaud his growing trust in lesser known scientists like @NLENTS. :sunglasses: Thanks to both of you for your contributions to PS.

6 Likes

@dga471, @J.E.S, @Patrick, thanks for the kind words. Coincidently (or co-instantly as @DaleCutler likes to put it), I am finishing up my application for promotion in rank that is due today. Getting this blog post published was a nice treat after slogging through writing a giant portfolio of “justify your academic existence” :wink:

9 Likes

I agree! And thanks for this, @Jordan, it made my day when I first read it. I’m sure it will give me great comfort in the days ahead when not everyone in my camp will agree that what I am doing here is worthwhile.

7 Likes

Remember, he called me a “lesser scientist,” not just “lesser known.” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You’re not lesser to anyone (living or dead). :sunglasses:

4 Likes

What I’m finding is that the mere existence of people getting along, and actually liking each other, even when there are significant places where they just see things differently, is almost a novelty in some circles. Not always a welcomed novelty, but sometimes.

Amen :slight_smile: I’ve spent more time in the last year talking about the Gospel with others on PS than I probably have my entire life. What’s surprising to me is how much I’ve learned from atheists. That is not a popular sentiment in my camp, but it is what it is. Understanding why people don’t believe has helped me understand more about why I do believe and helps me treat them as fellow Image-bearers and as those loved by God. That sounds to me like something Jesus would want, so I’ll keep doing it.

9 Likes

This has been my experience, as well. Discussion regarding difficult questions in Christianity has been extremely helpful to me, even if answers to those difficult questions remain unknown.

I’ve found similar experiences with well-meaning individuals that argue from YEC and ID perspectives. Thoughtful discussion can go a long way to solidifying (in my mind, at least) what I understand about what the scientific evidence does/does not say.

P. S. Thanks for putting that piece together, Jordan. I know putting together those professional portfolios can be stressful! Not the same stress level as research grant-writing, but about as stressful as our jobs get :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

It works in the other direction! I have no driving need for others to give up their faith, but it does help me to understand my own biases and thought processes when I talk to believers. I enjoy having human to human discussions without all of the culture war trappings that often come with internet forums.

7 Likes

I just finished that up myself, which is why I haven’t been around much.

2 Likes